Chickpeas and dates chocolate cake


Well! I will try to remain polite by just saying that I have been pleasantly surprised!
If I propose you a cake without butter (without any kind of dairy product actually!) without fat added whatever it is, without flour and sugar, are you interested? Mmmmh, not really right? And if I show you this beautiful chocolate cake, are you at least intrigued?


Yes it’s true, this delicious cake contains chickpeas and dates!

It was while I was taking a look at the blog “Avocat & chocolat” (in French) (you must look at it if you don’t know it!) that I stumbled upon this recipe that made me curious: “Chickpeas and dates chocolate cake”. As everything I find intriguing about cooking, I need to try… and here is the result! A beautiful fondant cake that for sure will impress your guests (and your taste buds;)!


Without waiting a minute more, here is the recipe:
  • 370g rinsed and drained chickpeas
  • 2 eggs
  • 200g well dark chocolate
  • 100g dates (weight without stones)
  • 180ml water
  • 1 packet of baking powder (or 11g)
  • 1 tbs vanilla aroma
For the finishing touch
  • Bitter cacao powder or icing sugar (optional)

We start with our “sugar”:

So first remove stones from dates to get 100g of fruits. Boil the water and dig in the dates for 5 minutes (heat off).


In the meantime, melt the chocolate on a low heat.

Then, blend everything little by little:
  1. Pour the dates and their water into the bowl of the blender and add the melted chocolate – blend;
  2. Add the first half of chickpeas – blend;
  3. Add an egg – blend;
  4. Add vanilla and baking powder – blend;
  5. Add the 2nd half of chickpeas – blend;
  6. Add the last egg – blend;

COOKING

Pour the mixture into a plain round baking tin covered with some parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes at 180°C.


At the end, a beautiful cake with nice cracks on it (I’m fond of cracks – a cake with cracks is inevitably good to me :p).


Let it cool down in its own time on a wire rack before removing the cake from the tin.

SERVING SUGGESTIONS

Just before serving, sprinkle some icing sugar or some bitter cacao powder on it. I tried both, I validate both :p


I though I could serve the cake with some vanilla ice cream… but it was before tasting it! Nothing to add to this cake, you just have to taste it now :)


The dietary info of the day!

For those who have anaemia as I do, I just have to say: get a move on! With the same quantity, cooked chickpeas contain as much iron as grilled entrecote of beef, a perfect way for a good nutrient boost :D


Rose.

2 comments:

  1. I am just so intrigued by this cake! The texture looks like the best moelleux but the dates and chickpeas must give it an interesting wonderful sweet and earthy flavor. Bookmarked this to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie!
      I hope you will try it and let me know if it's the cas :)

      Delete