Salmon steak with almonds and celeriac purée


Yesterday I was in the mood for cooking! It tends to happen often to me ^^. But this time, I was really motivated especially after grocery shopping where I got fresh salmon and a beautiful celeriac.

So the menu was set! Tonight it will be salmon steak and celeriac purée. However I wanted to innovate a bit. I therefore added an almond crumble to the steak and some grilled corn to accompany the purée. I thought that those flavors should go well together and I wasn’t disappointed at all!


Let’s go for the recipe for 2 people:
  • 2 salmon steaks
  • Some almonds
  • Salt, pepper, olive oil
For the purée
  • 1 small celeriac (or a half of a big one)
  • Salt, pepper, nutmeg
  • Some corn from a can.
And that’s it!

Let’s start with the fish:

Preheat the oven at 180°C.

Mix some almonds into your blender. Blend until you get a crumble texture, but not too much, we don’t want to get the almonds mushy!

Put some oil into an oven plate. Put the salmon steaks in it, skin against the plate. Put some olive oil again: use a spray if you have one, it’s the perfect use for it! Then carefully put mixed almonds on the top of the salmon, salt and pepper it.


Bake the salmon steaks for 25 minutes.

In the meantime, prepare the purée: 

As I’m a bit clumsy, this is the part I like the least: use a good knife to cut the celeriac in four. And still with this knife, peel the celeriac and don’t cut yourself if possible!


Cut some cubes that you will rinse with some water. Then cook these celeriac pieces into some salty boiling water (that should take about 10 minutes).


Use a blender to mix the celeriac until you get the texture you want. In my case I like it when there are still a few little chunky pieces left.


Add salt, pepper and especially some just grated nutmeg and mix everything. Don’t forget to taste to arrange the seasoning. Put aside.


Five minutes before the fish is cooked, brown the corn into a well hot frying pan, without any oil. Add some salt at the last moment.


COOKING

The salmon steaks will be perfectly tender at the end of the 25 minutes.


If it’s necessary, you can heat the purée up for a few minutes into the microwave oven, just before the steaks are cooked.

TIPS AND TRICKS

You can add 1 or 2 potatoes to the celeriac purée, and also a bit of butter, if you want a creamier texture. I prefer it simply natural, this is healthier and tastier :) 

Heat your plates 1 or 2 minutes into the microwave oven before preparing the plates. The purée can cool down very quickly and it’s so much better warm!

SERVING SUGGESTIONS

Preparing the plates

When your steaks are cooked, put them on the warm plates. Make some quenelles of purée with 2 tablespoons and spread some corn on it.


Watch out, it’s ready!

Well, this association of ingredients was completely improvised. I liked the almond taste combined with the salmon and even more I enjoyed the grilled corn with the celeriac purée. Unlike my boyfriend who thought that the flavor of the corn was too strong and therefore masked the taste of the celeriac :s.

I believe that some water is the best way to accompany salty dishes but if you like wine, a white one would be perfect for sure ;)

Cheers!

Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment