British cake or « Gateau Breton », pure butter


Hum… how can I say it… Well, I launch myself… it’s Sunday after all, I have the right… Today, I go off track, I warn you! You’re going to excuse me I hope but this kind of craving can’t be explained :p


So, after two salty vegan courses, let’s make a split, a giant leap, let’s climb a mountain and go down on bottom from it… to hit up a delicious British cake or « Gateau Breton », pure butter !


For once, I had yolks left. And we have to be serious with yolks! If we don’t need them, we throw them out: directly into the trash if we don’t immediately use them. And I won’t advice you to make a mayonnaise with 4 yolks :D – I don’t really like mayonnaise anyway.



We add to this a craving for a “Gateau Breton” which was in my stomach mind for a while now. And when after a quick search on Google I seeAvocat et chocolat – super blog where I noticed the Chickpeas and dates chocolate cake recipe, so I didn’t hesitate for a second, I found the preparation I was going to cook :)


So this time, close your eyes on the dietary side and let’s just delight ourselves, that’s fine to you? You don’t run away? Ok, follow me then!
  • 250g flour
  • 150g slightly salted butter (as in all of my recipes actually, there is only this kind of butter at home :D)
  • 150g sugar
  • 3 yolks
  • 6 tbs rum
For the glazing
  • 1 yolk
  • 1 tbs water

Work the soft butter (but not melted!) with a wooden spoon. Add sugar and mix well to totally stir it in.


Then add the 3 yolks, 1 by 1 by mixing in between. Stir flour in little by little. Knead the mixture a moment with the spoon, while adding rum, until the dough removes from the edges.




Butter a springform pan and spread the dough in it by pressing with a spoon.


Mix the 4th yolk to a tablespoonful of water and spread this mixture with a brush on top of the cake.
Use a fork to draw some lines on top of the cake. For example, you can cross lines in order to form lozenges.


COOKING

Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 180°C.


Let cool down on a wire rack before removing from the pan.


TIPS AND TRICKS

Think to get butter off the fridge a bit before using it for it will be easier to work. Otherwise, a few seconds into your microwave oven would help you :)

SERVING SUGGESTIONS                                                                                                                

Cake totally in my expectations – thank you Alice! I don’t know if it’s due to the type of rum used: “old” vanilla flavored rum – shh!, you must not say I used the good rum for baking ;) – but for sure there was an almond taste in the cake. Really amazing and so good!


Eaten by itself with a tea or accompanied with a coulis and some raspberries, here is for sure a pleasant moment!

Enjoy it everybody :)

And I promise you I’m going to come back with “some healthy” next time :D


Pomliane, I think this recipe fits in “Forbidden recipes” section, don’t you? :D

Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment