Rhubarb tart… just because I love it!


Rhubarb is definitely one of my favorite “fruits”. I’m crazy about its slightly acid taste! It’s simple: nothing at all can stand between my teaspoon and rhubarb. So imagine how hard it was for me last spring to freeze “a bit” of fresh rhubarb offered by my friend Duncan?!



I held 4 months… that’s good no?!


I usually prepare a (sweet) shortcrust pastry for my sweet tart. But for once, I don’t know why, I wanted to try with one pastry sugar free. I think I unconsciously wanted to reduce the sweetness to appreciate more the slightly acid taste of this great plant. So, I went to Isa’s blog to take her pastry recipe, already tried and approved :) Thanks Isa!!


And because rhubarb-vanilla make a great couple, I fell for a crème anglaise in addition to it (yes, for the matter :p).

So, let’s go, here is the recipe:
  • 500g cleaned, peeled, cut in chunks and frozen rhubarb (or about 320g defrost and drained rhubarb)
  • 2 small apples
  • 120g sugar (60g + 60g)
  • 2 eggs
  • 150g sour cream (my purpose was to use crème fraiche but I did wrong :D)
For the pastry
  • 200g flour
  • 150g soften butter
  • 1 egg
For the unctuous crème anglaise

Let’s start with the sugar-free pastry:

Into a salad bowl, mix soft butter and flour together until you get a kind of crumble texture. Add the egg and stir it in with a wooden spoon. Form a ball crushed a bit and keep, wrapped in plastic paper, for 2-3h in the fridge.


Leave it at room temperature 15 minutes before using it.
After having made the dough (or before^^), drain rhubarb really well on a colander.


When the dough and the rhubarb are ready, we can move on to the tart making!

*Preheat the oven to 200°C! – ding*
  1. Roll the dough out with a rolling pin, put it in your tart tin and pick it. Bake for 10 minutes first.
  2. Clean, peel and dice apples. Wring rhubarb well between two paper towels.
  3. Put the fruits on the prebaked dough and sprinkle 60g of sugar on it. Bake for 20 more minutes.
  4. Prepare the liquid mixture with: the 2 eggs, the sour cream and the 60g sugar left; everything vigorously whisked. Pour this mixture on the prebaked fruit-tart. Bake for about 40 more minutes. Yes, it takes time, but it’s so good! Still, keep an eye on the baking from 20-30 minutes because I think my oven got lazy this time :o





COOKING

So count 1h10 total at 200°C (but it will probably be quicker for you!).

TIPS AND TRICKS

Start to defrost/drain the rhubarb the day before, in the fridge, in a colander placed on a plate.

Concerning the pastry, I approximately used 2/3 or even 3/4 of it. The leftovers ended as a salty tart :)

The nutritional info of the day! ...

Some info about rhubarb!


Its appearance betrays it, rhubarb is full of fibers! Those fibers are essentially insoluble fibers (lignin, cellulose…), the ones that help bowels move quickly (as in dates).


Frozen and cooked rhubarb, as here so!, is an excellent source of K vitamin (vitamin that participate to blood coagulation and build bones). Note that used this way, it’s also a good source of calcium. So, my vegan friends: rush on rhubarb! I even lend you my unbeatable teaspoon if you want!

SERVING SUGGESTIONS

So, now, let’s eat our fibers, K vitamin and calcium :D

According to me, well cooled is the best way to enjoy rhubarb flavors (but don’t trust me, I’m inflexible about the “icy” temperature that my desserts must have!).


Nevertheless, as I have a little crush on the warm/cold contrast, I authorize you to taste the tart slightly warm with the crème anglaise well cool :)


Delight yourself :)

Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment