Lemon squares


Well, the salty break was short :D because I caught the « lemon squares » craziness which was lately on Food Reporter.


I wanted to try this dessert for a while but 1. My mister is not really fond of lemon desserts and 2. I never made one before (yes, it’s true!). However I really like lemon so much! It’s a bit like my table salt ^^. Then my dear friend Laurie gave me an easy recipe, which she wonderfully succeeded with, so I thought that I could manage to do it as well!


And it seems that it went well indeed, because even my mister ate some, miracle!! :p And about me, well, I enjoyed myself ;)

The recipe is from the book of Marc Grossman “Un goûter à New York”. So you will need:

For the pastry
  • 150g whole wheat flour (T55 in the original recipe)
  • 30g icing sugar
  • 4 tsp Maïzena
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 125g butter at room temperature
For the custard
  • 18cl lemon juice (from about 4-5 small lemons in this case)
  • 250g granulated sugar
  • 5 tbs whole wheat flour (T55 in the original recipe)
  • 6 eggs
  • Grated zest of one lemon (a bio one of course!)
For the finishing touch
  • Some icing sugar

We start with the pastry for which the preparation looks really like the one for a crumble. Very easy: mix with a fork flour, icing sugar, Maïzena, salt and butter at room temperature.


Spread this mixture on a rectangle baking tin and bake for 15 minutes at 180°C.


While the pastry is baked, we prepare the lemon custard: mix sugar with flour and stir in the eggs one by one by mixing well each time you add an egg. Don’t forget the zest! Finally add the lemon juice.


COOKING

Pour this mixture on the baked pastry and bake again for 40 minutes, still at 180°C.


TIPS AND TRICKS

I really advice you to use a springform pan if you don’t want to destroy your first squares^^. I didn’t have any rectangle baking tin anyway so I used my rond springform pan of 23 cm diameter. Perfect when you have to remove the cake and perfect for the size too which gives a good height to the squares!

SERVING SUGGESTIONS


Let completely cool before removing the cake. Sprinkle with some icing sugar and cut some squares / rectangles. And you’re now ready for a great tasty break!!


Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment