Zucchini & red onion clafoutis


I had a little craving for salted clafoutis this week, with some good vegetables! And I also wanted to use my new springform cake tin, it was the perfect occasion :D So I made some quick searches on Internet to find a recipe without whipping cream (as I didn’t have any!) and I finally decided to follow the recipe written by Mirelle.


I drew my inspiration from her liquid mixture and then I followed my own way :p The result was more than satisfying! I preferred this one to my first try of salted clafoutis which contained ricotta. This time, I really got the melting texture I expected, perfect! To be made again soon :)


And for you to be able to try it, here is how I did it :)
  • 2 zucchinis
  • 2 small red onions
  • 60g flour
  • 40g melted butter
  • 3 eggs
  • 240ml milk
  • 50g grated cheese (gouda in my case)
  • Basil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Breadcrumbs

We start by taking care of the vegetables:

Thinly slice the red onions and brown them with some olive oil. Then clean and dice zucchinis and add them to the onions. Brown everything gently while you’re taking care of the next steps.


We now prepare the liquid mixture:

Into a salad bowl, start by mixing the melted butter and the flour with a whisk, you will get a kind of crumble dough. Stir in the eggs one by one to get a homogenous mixture.


Add grated cheese, salt, pepper and basil. Mix it and then mix again with the milk. Now the liquid mixture is ready!


Finally, grease your cake tin with butter and cover it with breadcrumbs. Put the precooked vegetables on the cake’s bottom and pour the liquid mixture on it. You can sprinkle the top of the clafoutis with a few breadcrumbs if you want, it’s nice :p


COOKING

Bake for 30 minutes at 200°C. Don’t forget to check the cooking with a knife point, really old tip but so useful to me :p


TIPS AND TRICKS

If just as me you like onions only if they are very melted, don’t forget to start to cook them first before adding zucchinis!


SERVING SUGGESTIONS

The clafoutis can be served as soon as it’s baked, still hot, or cooled down after some hours into the fridge. I tried the two versions which both convinced me! I may have slightly preferred the warm version (but it could be due to the current season ;)


Serve it with a fresh green salad for a light dish or to accompany a beautiful salmon steak for example :)
 

Have a good weekend everybody and see you soon!

Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment